FACTS ABOUT ASHOKAN INSCRIPTIONS
➮ Maski edict discovered in 1915 is the only edict that mentions the name, Ashoka.
➮ The Topra & Meerut pillars were brought to Delhi by Feroz Shah Tughlaq.
➮ Ashokan edicts were deciphered by James Princep in 1837.
➮ The Kausambi pillar was brought to Calcutta by Jahangir.
➮ The Bairat inscription was brought to Allahabad by Cunningham.
➮ Two major rock edicts as Mansehra and Sahbazgarhi are in Kharoshti script.
➮ The Kandhar inscription is bilingual- Greek and Aramaic.
➮ Most of the Ashokan edicts are written in Brahmi script.
➮ The language used in Ashokan edicts except Kandhar is Prakrit.
➮ The inscription in the fragmentary condition found at Lampak/ Lamghan is in Aramaic
➮ In all the edicts except the Maski edict, Ashoka refers to himself by his title Devanampiya Piyadassi.
➮ The Allahabad pillars (brought from Kausambi) contain the inscription of Samudra Gupta and Jehangir also.
➮ Major rock edicts are fourteen in number.
➮ The total number of pillar edicts is thirteen, they are inscribed in ten pillars. Out of thirteen seven are major pillar edicts, four are minor pillar edicts and two are commemorative pillar edicts.
➮ Of the four minor pillars edicts one is known as Queen’s edict and it is on the Allahabad pillar.
➮ The commemorative pillar edicts are Rumeindei and Nigalisagar (both in Nepal).
➮ The longest among the major rock edict is the 13th rock edict (in Odisha).
➮ The 7th pillar edict is the longest among all the edicts.
➮ The Allahabad pillar contains the first six pillar edicts, Queen’s edict, Kosam Schism edicts, Prasasti of Samudragupta written by Harisena and some decrees of Jehangir.
➮ Kharosthi script was derived from Persian Aramaic.
➮ He constructed Sanchi Stupa at Vidisha (M.P.)